How to Build Muscle and Clean Eating Wrap-Up

12,930 people received my free newsletter this week. Click here to get the goods

Today is only a short update because I want to point you to a few videos I’ve created over the last few weeks. The first video is a response to some of the questions and concerns I got from Jordan and I’s beginners guide on how to build muscle. We had a nice response to the infographic, along with some criticisms from the Reddit community (they can be harsh, but it was well-received).

How To Build Muscle Infographic

In the video, I cover the following topics:

• Why I used the images I did for exercise recommendations
  • How we arrived at the calorie recommendations
  • Pre and post-workout meal suggestions – why they’re necessary for the budding beginner
  • Why Jordan and I do not recommend HIIT training when the ultimate goal is to build muscle.
  • General questions/concerns such as not including cardio on the muscle building plan

Check out the video here:

[leadplayer_vid id="4FFFD119AE1E3"]

Clean Eating Follow-Up

As many of you know, almost 2 years ago, I wrote the article Clean Eating is a Scam and Why You Should Abandon It. I then followed that piece up with a part 2 and part 3.

With the new Google Penguin update, I’ve been getting a decent amount of search traffic for the original clean eating article I wrote back in September 2010. So now when you search the term ‘clean eating,’ you’ll see me in the 4th or 5th position usually.

This is great for traffic, but not necessarily great for a first impression to new readers. In saying that, my views on clean eating haven’t really changed. I explain that in the video – and so far – it’s been a very well received.

In the video, I discuss the following:

• Beliefs – what they are and how they affect our behaviors
  • My personal feelings on the term and how it affected my early life in fitness
  • How fitness and nutrition is akin to religious debate
  • Two opposing views from the comment section on the same article

Check out the video here:

[leadplayer_vid id="4FFFCDF3A79B3"]

New Videos Coming

So, I’ve been pushed and prodded for some time to begin making videos. I fought it like mad, for a while at least. However, I’m really enjoying creating these videos – the whole content creation + editing process has been a ton of fun. It all started with the Brogramming Video I made of my friends Andrew Griffin, RogLaw and myself when I was in Boston back in April.

Brogramming with the Broz

After that video, I was sort of hooked and have since then created a few more.

In saying that, I’ve been getting more and more emails from pure beginners – mainly the guys (and even some girls) who haven’t really lifted much, and if they have, it’s been very unproductive.

Their goals are to build muscle, but many of them are either afraid of gaining excess body fat (hello, I’m a Former Fat Boy, too) or they’re afraid that the methods of training isn’t going to work – and then they waste a ton of time jumping from program to program not making any progress at all.

So my goal for the next piece of content is to create an article based around the fundamentals of getting jakt, but not only that; I want to touch on some of the pitfalls beginners experience – along with some strategies to combat the mental chaos.

So if you have any ideas/questions/concerns you’d like me to discuss, please share those with me in the comment section. I’ve already received a great deal of suggestions from a Facebook thread I started, so feel free to chime in there, if you’d like.

JCDFItness T-Shirts

Also, I’ve been working with a lady to make this possible, and I think/hope it will be very soon (maybe a week or two for orders).

Keep in mind, the top one with the logo – I made the quickly in photoshop, the final product will be much sleeker.

I did a poll on Facebook, and these are the styles that we’re going to go with. For men, it’s the simple UnderArmour Heat Gear shirt. I have a bunch of these and they’re my favorite fit. They aren’t too tight, but they fit well enough to make you look great without being baggy and getting in the way during your training.

As for the women, most wanted the tank and a few wanted the option of a t-shirt. So y’all will get a choice.

Each gender has a choice between black and grey.

I’ll have more info on these hopefully next week in terms of pricing, etc. This will likely be a limited run of 50-100 shirts. The main reason for this is due to having to place the orders manually, and then shipping them from my residence. If you’re close, I might just hand-deliver.

Anyhow – thanks for watching the videos and got some good content coming out over the coming weeks with articles, podcasts and videos.

Comments

1. Romeo says

Weight Training on a fasted stomach has worked for me (at least 18 hours fasted). Incredible fat loss with actual muscle gain. Almost magic! Fast usually once a week, rarely twice a week. Twice a week not needed if you work hard with the weights.

Also, I don’t believe in HIIT either if you weight train but I do perform a quick 4 minute Tabada session immediately after weight training. This has also improved fat loss and musle gain also.

Loving the vids – keep them coming. Gotta get my own Brogramming team together to train with. I’ll be watching out for more from you.

3. Tony Chan says

Hi JC Deen,

I’ve followed you website for the past few months and have enjoyed reading your articles. They are well written, unbiased, easy to understand and to the point.

It looks like your expertise and professionalism crosses over to presenting skills as well. Video, written articles, pod casts is there no end to your talents.

You have a likeable mannerism, pleasant sounding clear voice and again you come across as well informed. I feel like i have to relearn everything i know….

Keep up the good work.

ps you have the bushiest eyebrows I’ve ever seen. Is this what happens when you drink protein shakes and take vitamin supplements haha.

hey Tony,

Thanks for the compliments. and no, I can thank my daddy for these eyebrows – every male in the Deen line has ‘em.

Wow- That was an amazing article and loved the video content as well. I remember at one time not too long ago I was merely a beginner and the whole training and fitness world seemed so overwhelming. Great to see someone is taking the time to help out the “beginners” of the world-and not just the established “meat heads”..haha…keep up the good work!

Great use of alternative media to get your points across :)

The clean eating video dispells many of those fitness industry myths! Clean eating should be personal to us all and there always will be some people who can get by with a loose diet and still retain a six pack and those who need to restrict themselves to 1 beer a week in order to do so!

6. Kimberly Mills says

Loved the post and videos! The thing I have discovered this last 2+ years about exercise and nutrition (I don’t use the word diet) is that what worked for me doesn’t necessarily work for everybody. Nutrition and exercise is not black and white. There is a big area of grey…and ideas around fitness and healthy eating are constantly changing and evolving. When I started my health and fitness journey, I did eat frequent meals (5 a day) and it did work for me. Now, I eat when I feel like eating…sometimes it may be 3 times a day….sometimes five….I just make sure that I eat as healthy as I can most of the time. When I was losing my weight I did eat pasta, and pizza, and bread (usually whole grain), and I definitely love a good gourmet burger….. and I still lost weight. I did eliminate some food….mostly deep fried foods and pop….and again that worked for me…the funny thing is I don’t really miss those things….so I probably won’t go back to them. This is because I know there are certain foods that if I let myself have them (i.e. french fries) I know I could not eat them in moderation and would binge. But again I am okay with not having them because I don’t miss those things. I guess I am trying to say is that my nutrition and exercise program do work for me…but will what I do work for someone else….maybe, but then again maybe not. Our bodies are different and what works or doesn’t work will be different. We just need to be in tune with our own bodies and listen to what our bodies are telling us when we eat and exercise. Because I have learned to listen to what my body is telling me, I have achieved the success I have with my health and fitness journey. And I am happier than I have ever been. Okay, JC….I will stop my rambling…just wanted to say thank you for these videos and all your articles and posts. They are very helpful and you don’t try to shove a belief system down everyone’s throat. You give valuable and helpful information…and let reader decide if that is something that will work for him or her. You rock JC!

7. FitnessAndBrevity says

The thing about reddit is, you can’t base the reception solely on the comments. Your infographic made it to the top spot for a day or two, and judging by the upvotes, was well received. When you look at the comments, you’re getting a biased opinion. Generally on reddit, the people who like something will upvote and move on, and the people that don’t will comment, speaking in general here. And thus, the most upvoted comments are generally concerns.

r/fitness is like any place. Take a restaurant for example. If you run a restaurant, the majority of the concerns voiced through e-mail are probably people who are upset or dissatisfied. Your business still maintains at a healthy level of operation, so those few aren’t necessarily the majority opinion of the restaurant. But they are concerns to look at.

Don’t take it too harshly. It’s tough love, more or less.

8. Jimmy says

Dude! I can’t wait to get a shirt!!!! This is your best post yet. Gonna rep the hell out of JCD.

9. Dale says

JC –

Love the simple approach. Don’t let the bastids get you down.

And on these concerns about cardio health, how the hell do, say, 10 rep squats not tax the cardio system ?!?!

People are nuts.

• john says

hey Jay. I wanted to ask you about something that I never get a clear answer. I’ve read that a normal sized meal (with protein carbs fat fiber) takes about 6-8 hours to get digested. So if I have such a meal 2-3 hours before my training does it mean that I don’t need to eat for even 4-5 hours after workout?In general ,does pre workout nutrition eliminate the need to eat something soon after training? I know all studies have been done on fasted subjects so does any of post workout benefits apply to not fasted trainees? thanks alot!!