The Preemptive Refeed – More Thoughts On Flexible Dieting

In my previous article, My Thoughts on Flexible Dieting, I discussed the importance of having some flexibility on your fat loss diet, some mistakes I made in the past and how I now go about setting things up when fat loss is the main goal.

For this article I’d like to touch on the preemptive refeed, which is a way of going by feel as opposed to having refeeds programmed into your diet ahead of time.  For the dieter whose mind still teeters on the more analytical and oftentimes neurotic side, this approach may not be for you; well, not for now anyway.

First of all, let’s look at exactly what a refeed is.  A refeed means to feed again following a period of malnourishment or under-eating.  In some cases, such as severe starvation in the Minnesota Study, the refeed period lasted much longer than what we’re going to discuss today.

Prolonged Dieting and its Effects

After an extended period on a hypocaloric diet, one becomes hungry, irritable, and sometimes fat loss seems to stall, despite a consistent calorie deficit.  It’s hard to say why but it just seems to happen.

Sometimes it’s a result of the diet causing one to be sluggish, thus moving less than they did at energy balance.  It’s common for folks to be gung-ho about their new diet for the first few weeks, making sure to train regularly and move as much as possible, while watching their reflection slowly shrink and the scale move downward. But after time, it’s common for people to slow down, move less, thus reducing their daily burn and slowing fat loss.

Sometimes, it’s a result of water retention masking the fat loss.

Other times, it’s a result of certain hormones down-regulating due to a suboptimal environment.  The body merely longs to survive as opposed to becoming what you deem as sexy and lean.

A nice way to see this in action is by getting a blood test after a decent period of dieting (6+ weeks) and viewing the drop in testosterone, T3, T4, etc.  This is hardly necessary but if you’ve a great insurance plan and can afford it, it’s interesting to observe the effects on paper.  Don’t worry, though.  As long as you come out of dieting and into a period of maintenance or over-eating (also known as a diet break), your hormonal system will return to normal.

This is why Lyle McDonald recommends a diet break after going through a cycle of Rapid Fat Loss and multiple cycles of UD2.

It’s also known through research that larger individuals (those with more body fat) possess more of the hormone known as leptin than their leaner counterparts.  The only way, which we know of currently, to increase leptin is through a carbohydrate refeed.

Martin Berhkan gives a nice explanation of leptin in this article.

Leptin is a master-hormone with downstream effects on other hormones related to metabolism (T3/T4, neuropeptide-Y, epinephrine, among many others).

In the long-term, leptin is regulated by total amount of fat mass. A drop in leptin affects the other hormones negatively and vice versa. Low leptin leads to an increase in hunger and a decrease in metabolic rate, much like high leptin leads to a decrease in hunger and an increase in metabolic rate.

Generally speaking, lean people have low levels of leptin while obese have high levels of leptin. However, in the latter case, leptin resistance develops. This is likely an effect of chronically elevated leptin, much like insulin resistance is an effect of chronically elevated insulin.

The set-point theory of body weight-regulation is intimately connected to leptin and has a strong genetic component to it. Naturally lean people maintain a low body fat set-point by being leptin-sensitive; they can maintain a low body fat percentage and function optimally even with low leptin. But most of us aren’t so lucky, which is why getting really lean is typically a difficult task.

So as you might infer from this passage, controlling this hormone, albeit through our diet, is our best bet if we aren’t a naturally lean individual.

What Can We Do About It?

We can incorporate refeeds systematically or preemptively.  If you’re familiar with Lyle’s Ultimate Diet 2.0, you’re aware of the glycogen-filling, monster of a refeed once per week.  We’re talking about massive amounts of carbohydrate here – so much that when my roommate’s on the diet, I vacate the house due to the gaseous atmosphere a plethora of carbs can create.

Now, the preemptive refeed I’m going to discuss here is not along the same lines of what Lyle prescribes in the book.  His protocol is very specific and includes a hefty amount of glycogen depletion.  For the average dieter on a low(er) volume training program with a few sessions of cardio thrown in now and then, such a refeed is not only unnecessary, it would likely set a person back two or three steps.  That’s not what we’re after here.

We’re after fat loss and a sensible approach to achieving it.

The Preemptive Refeed

If you’ve settled into a fairly relaxed diet and are ready for another tool to enhance your fat loss efforts, the preemptive refeed is very useful.

The general rule is this: the leaner(or more dieted down) you are, the more frequent your refeeds will need to be and vice versa.

The level of your activity and severity of a deficit will determine the amount of carbohydrate for each refeed.

Remember, this preemptive refeed is mainly for those who are running a consistent deficit and not following a specific diet that incorporates refeeds already.  It’s mainly for the person who is consistently maintaining a daily deficit anywhere from the -500 to -1000 range.

Guidelines

For sake of simplicity, we’re going to assume our trainee weighs 180lbs, is consuming 1.25g/lb of body weight (BW) in protein and has an average BMR.  Adjust according to your body weight and activity levels.

Very Active
Training 5-6 times per week – weights and cardiovascular work.
Athletes and/or advanced trainees will fall under this category.  Also those with occupations that require hard labor such as construction.

1.25g/lb protein
3xBW carbohydrate*
40-50g fat**
Frequency of 2 and sometimes 3 times per week around weight training.

Moderately Active
Training 3-4 times per week – weights and cardiovascular work.
Active college students, those who are doing more walking/biking than driving.  Those who have jobs that require them to be on their feet or that require mild physical labor.

1.25b/lb protein
2-2.5gxBW carbohydrate*
40-50g fat**
Frequency of 1 but maybe 2 times per week around weight training.

Sedentary
Weight training 2-3 times per week – barely any cardiovascular work.
This applies mainly to those with desk jobs and those whose gym time is the only hour of the day they are active.

1.25b/lb protein
1.5-2gxBW carbohydrate*
40-50g fat**
Frequency of once every 10-14 days around weight training.

*The carbohydrate intake can and will vary from person to person.  These figures are just a starting point to get you headed in the right direction.  Some will need to go a bit higher depending on training volume, occupation and maintenance level intake.  Some will need to be fairly moderate with their intake.

Most of your days carbohydrates need to be of the complex variety.  Think potatoes, oats, rice and pasta as opposed to sugary cereal, candy, etc.  Eat a few piece of fruit to fill liver glycogen and then choose the complex sources for the remainder of your intake.  These will keep you full and the increased satiety will often prevent you from overeating on junk (if you’re prone to such atrocities).

**The fat recommendations are lower to cover your bases (essential fatty acids), add some taste and allow for the extra carbohydrates to fill muscle glycogen.

Final Notes

This is all based on how you’re feeling.  That’s the preemptive part of this equation.  If it’s been quite a few days of hard training and low calories, you’re likely feeling tired and worn out – this may be a good time to set up your next refeed.  Most folks, besides those who are already very lean, will likely be able to go weeks (at least 4-6) without any real need for a refeed.

If you’ve been dieting and notice yourself being extra compulsive, overly anxious, constantly dreaming about food, or developing an alternate personality, this may be your sign.  If your sex drive is declining, a decent-sized refeed will usually do the trick.  If one day doesn’t do it, eat a few more carbs the next day.  Eat at maintenance or slightly over.  If the issue persists, a full diet break may be warranted.

If you’re really lean, pushing it to the max and haven’t filled up with carbs in over a few weeks, go buy some potatoes, rice, your favorite pasta and get to work.

Comments

1. Bender says

“One more thing – a refeed needs to be a calorie surplus to render positive effects on leptin.”

The study linked here shows nothing of the sort-instead it shows that a refeed should be carb and not fat dominant. In fact, I think that I saw somewhere (can’t find the study now though so don’t hold me to this) that a moderate amount of cho in a vlc diet can increase leptin acutely even in a deficit.

2. Kevin says

55 years old 6 days a week weights and at least 5-10 miles of hiking a week. I dieted down over 3 months 20 lbs not refeeding for at least 2 of those months. Went from 14.7 bf to 9.5 hydrostaticly checked. Refeeds are now once a week with a high carb day plus anything and everything I want to eat. Not gorging just eating like most Americans do every day WHAT EVER I WANT! diet days are low low carbs high protein, refeed seems to keep me sain and keeps me on tract with the rest of the 6 days!! Looking for 8% bf going on month 4. Couldn’t have done it with out the refeed day!!

3. Edison says

Hi JC, Great info on the post, just a question, do you think that by having refeeds like you mentioned in the post is sufficient and you do not need to have a diet break? I am just confused between the two and wondered which one is better? Cheers

hey Edison – I think if you refeed enough, then a diet break is not really necessary. However, if you’ve been dieting for a long time, even with refeeds, a break can’t hurt.

4. Colm says

Hey, I’v been running a 1000 kcal deficit for about 4 weeks now. Today was my second refeed according to your guidelines. I know that fat burns faster when your body is glycogen depleted. When we refeed, glycogen gets refilled. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Should I do a depletion workout tomorrow to get my glycogen levels back down or is this just going to negate the effects of the refeed?

refilling glycogen is neither good nor bad as it stands. However, if you’re looking to improve performance, aid your metabolism by bumping leptin and possibly improving your diet’s effectiveness, then it is indeed a great thing.

I’d just go back to your regular dieting the following day.

I have had a hard time trying to find good information on refeeds. You have provided a great resource here and I thank you for that. I do have a question that I hope you can answer.

I am 5’10″ and 176lbs. My bf is at 11%. I follow the Primal lifestyle and have incorporated Martin Berkhan’s approach to intermittent fasting. I have been consuming around 50grams of carbs a day on my cardio days which I do 3 times a week. My intake of fat is greater on cardio days. On weight training days, I usually up that amount to 100-150carbs and lower my fat intake. Is 100-150 still considered low carb?

I am trying desperately to get below 10% body fat and have my abs start showing. I am considering doing your above refeed one day a week to see if I can’t achieve this goal. I am just not sure if I should decrease the other 2 weight training day’s carbs back down to around 50. Thoughts?

“Low carb” is relative. For some who are used to eating large amounts daily(500+ grams) 200g might be low for them. But it clearly wouldn’t be low for others.

As for your last question. It’s going to take some experimentation. It’s all pretty much dependent on your activity levels and workouts. if you’re burning a bunch of glycogen, eating fewer carbs during the week will just create a bigger “sink.”

Eating more might be better for adherence, though.

I think you are right about experimentation. I realize everyone is different and what works for some might not work for others. I will do some experimenting and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for your response.

good question.

Very lean, when considering the general population would be as follows:

men: less than 10-12% body fat
      women: less than 15-17% body fat

6. Eric says

Yup, good article. not is hard to find specific info on refeeds. I follow Lyle’s advice on the free meals instead of the refeeds. Just because it makes it easier with the family and eating out. One needs to find a balance though and not pig out or do it too many days in a row

sure, balance is the key here. waiting too long can also turn awry as a day long refeed could turn into a week long refeed.

7. Krs says

JC It’s really hard to find good info on refeeds. One can go to any BB forum and everyone has a contradicting opinion and most of that crap you can’t take as truth. This was very much needed.

Thanks

8. Saso says

Love your site JC.

“1.25g/lb protein
    3xBW carbohydrate”

BW is also in lbs?
    so you mean 3g/lb carbs?

9. Elfling says

“For sake of simplicity, we’re going to assume our trainee weighs 180lbs, is consuming 1.25g/lb of body weight (BW) and has an average BMR”

1.25g/lb of what?

Hey JC, great post (as always :))

Obviously, you spent a lot of time researching the numbers. I’m a big fan of unorthodox dieting, enjoying the articles on IF, recomping, etc. Keep it up! Doing any dieting yourself for the summer or are you pretty much where you want to be?

11. Joe says

I constantly have problems with my alternate personality. The only thing that helps is to go to bed earlier and sleep in longer…

12. G says

“A nice way to see this in action is by getting a blood test after a decent period of dieting (6+ weeks) and viewing the drop in testosterone”…this is not good, it really can suck (sorry no other way to put it) in the long-term, Oh I know from experience.

not sure what you mean? If you’re objective about it and know, relatively, what to expect, there should be no surprises. If you get all crazy and assume that you’re abnormal or hypogonadal, then it’s probably not a good idea…

13. Geir S says

Great read as always, you should write daily articles so I have something to do at work ;)

1. [...] I have "planned binges" all the time except I call them refeeds. They don't "shake up your body" but overeating does help reset some internal hormones specifically it can raise leptin which is an important hormone to consider when dieting. A much better refeed is one that is higher calorie but much lower in fat. My refeeds usually span 2 meals and 5-6 hours in which I'll consume around 3,000 calories with a goal of keeping fat grams under 50. So I'm shoveling my face with bagels, pasta, sugary cereals, etc. At your size you would consume less. The idea behind high carb and low fat is twofold. Excess carbs are not converted to fat and fat is directly absorbed so you minimize and fat gain. Second, research has shown that excess carbs specifically do the best job of increasing leptin. Initially I did this once a month. Now I do it once a week. Pretty soon I'll be doing it twice a week as I make my way down to single digit body fat levels. I have never stalled using regular refeeds. Pretty good article here. [...]